Jan 9, 2006

The unfinished year.

’06 is rapidly turning into the year of unfinished entries. Everything has been so busy of late or rather, I’ve been so busy of late whenever I do get started on putting keystrokes to html, I find myself either distracted, preoccupied with something else or just out of steam.

This year started on a weird footing in that I came into the year fighting an ear infetion, having EYOC back in the hospital and just managing a full plate otherwise thank you very much.

I did manage to squeeze in seeing a movie the other day. Caught Spielberg‘s latest, Munich.

Enjoyable flick, Eric Bana does quite the turn. I find myself growing to be a bigger fan of Geoffrey Rush with each thing I see him in. Outside of a sequence of cross cutting in the third act (between a love making scene and an act of violence) which seemed a bad choice, I liked the film overall. It’s not a true depiction of history but interesting nonetheless and manages to be thought provoking entertainment.

There is a sequence towards the end where two characters are having a running dialog with the skyline of New York as a backdrop. Seeing as it is supposed to be the early 70s when the conversation is taking place, it was interesting to notice all the buildings in the shot (a couple of new apartment buildings over on the east side along 1st avenue, the new Trump building on 49th and the CitiCorp Center) that weren’t in existence back at that time.

Sounds like I’m being a bit of a stickler but the last shot in the movie as the ending titles run is a digital composite of the skyline of lower Manhattan with the WTC smack dab in the middle of the shot. WTC of course, long gone by the time the movie was filmed but digitally inserted by the filmmaker to make some kind of final point to the movie. A little heavy handed for me though. If the decision was made to put the WTC in they certainly could have digitally removed the newer buildings from the background in the other sequence.

There are some other plot twists which I found very transparent but, my fellow viewer didn’t pick up on them and I won’t go into detail here for fear of spoiling the film, it is worth seeing.

No comments: